Monday, November 8, 2010

Hawaii: Honolulu/ Waikiki

We just got home from Utah last night, and even though I haven't even finished unpacking yet I figured I'd better hurry and get a going on the blog posts for our trip to Hawaii or I'll never catch up.

As most of you already know, Aaron and I decided kind of last minute to take a trip to Hawaii to celebrate our 10th anniversary (June 17) and my 30th birthday (November 7). My parents were willing and able to keep the kids for us, and things worked out beautifully so that we could go.

On Sunday morning our family drove down to Salt Lake to Keith and Rachelle's house where we had a lovely dinner and got to hang out with them and Todd & Kristen. Dad drove up from Kanab that night as well.

In the morning we got up and got everybody ready to go, then Dad and the kids dropped me and Aaron off at the airport. They spent some more time in Salt Lake then headed down to the sand dunes.

Our flight was long and uneventful (thank goodness) and walking off the plane and feeling the humid 85 degree air was fantastic. On the way to the hotel we got our first glimpse of an authentic Hawaiian rainbow.


We stayed in Waikiki, which is a district of Honolulu. It's got tons of shopping and restaurant choices within walking distance, and the beach was about a 5 minute walk as well.

My sweet Mama sent me a birthday present that I was instructed not to open until we got there. Isn't she thoughtful?


By the time we got settled into the hotel and freshened up it was only about 4:00, but to us it was 8:00 so we were starving. We found a place that seemed cool, plopped down just as all the Giants fans were going nuts and enjoyed a nice meal.

We almost missed the sunset, but luckily we finished dinner just in time to get down to the beach.

Our tripod was being stupid, but thank goodness for friendly strangers who are willing to take your picture! (And no, I'm not pregnant, just chubby and wearing a VERY unflattering top that will probably never see the light of day again.)



Even though we were pooped, it was still fairly early so we went out again later and strolled along the main drag. There were tons of high end stores like Tiffany, Coach, Armani, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc.

One of the coolest places we found was the International Marketplace, which is just a big open air market with tons of booths. There were so many souvenirs that I wanted to get, but our first purchase was at one of those "Pick-a-Pearl" booths where you choose your oyster and get to keep the pearl that's inside.

Aaron chose for me and I actually got a pretty good sized one. The guy at the booth seemed kind of put out that we didn't want him to set it for us, but he pierced it so I can have it set whenever I want.

I've got lots more to write about, so I'll try to keep up on the posts so it doesn't take me a month to get everything on here. I have LOTS of photos to share and maybe even some videos, so check back soon!

1 comment:

Kory Jane said...

Yes, please keep posting. I can at least live through you at the beach. It looked so pretty.