This little town is turning out to be so quaint and cute. It's also a very welcoming and active community, with events and markets and fun things going on all the time. A couple of weekends ago was the annual "Paint Chelsea Pink" breast cancer awareness event. Lots of local businesses were involved, but the whole thing was put on by the Fire Department.
Saturday morning we walked down to Main Street and soon found where the Kid Zone had been set up. There were several inflatables (which were free), as well as face painting, t-shirt painting and food that you could buy.
In the same lot a fire truck was parked so kids could look inside and even try on the gear if they wanted to.
On our way back downtown I spied a yard sale which Aaron was more than happy to let me explore on my own while he took the kids into the cute library. It's really awesome. It won "Best Small Library in America" in 2008.
After I was done at the yard sale I popped in at the Farmer's Market that was going on behind the library. I bought some locally made apple cider for a friend, registered to vote with a little old lady who wouldn't take "I need to meet my husband and children now" for an answer, then actually did meet up with my husband and children. Aaron stopped by a cafe to buy some sushi for lunch while I walked some of the kids home.
This mural hangs on the wall of the building next door to the library.
In her dress are images that describe Chelsea and this area of Michigan, like the Jiffy Plant and the clock tower.
Here's a little bit of downtown.
The white silos in the background of this one are part of the Jiffy dry mix plant. I bet if you look at the box of cornbread muffin mix in your pantry it will say it was made in Chelsea, MI! :)
Isn't that clock tower cool?!
Zou Zou's is a little cafe on the corner of our street where we often stop to get ice cream cones or sandwiches.
On a walk one day we stopped into a little book and toy shop to look around. We chatted with the owner who informed us that Jeff Daniels (ever seen Dumb & Dumber?) was raised in Chelsea and had everything to do with revitalizing the town as it had begun to decline in the early '90's. He opened up the Purple Rose Theatre Company in an old garage downtown and donated a building to the Community Arts organization, among other things. He said he even stood next to him in line at the coffee shop once. (But apparently you're not supposed to approach him. I guess he's kinda grumpy.)
The book shop cat was very friendly, and very cute.
On we go.
Even though it's just down the street, I would love to spend a night in this adorable little inn.
Now here's my favorite house in all of Chelsea. Maybe in the whole world! It's on our street, on the other side of Main Street so I drive past it twice a day when I take Hakan to school and pick him up. I LOVE IT.
It has so much character and detail and charm, but it's obviously in need of repair.
Which is why it's so very exciting to see that it's getting repainted!
I. could. die.
Those colors are exactly what I would pick if this house were mine (which I dream of each and every time I see it). I love that they're uncovering the bricks from that dark gray, too. And did you notice the copper gutters?? *swoon
See the guy on the bike in the picture below? Most Saturday mornings there are dozens of cyclists around here. Zou Zou's is usually packed and bikes are stacked outside. Maybe someday, if I ever take up cycling, I'll figure out what the draw is.
And on the way back home. I should take another photo now. This was a couple of weeks ago and it is far less green these days.
I feel so lucky to be part of this community.
I love that the mail carriers deliver on foot, and that the garbage men still hop off the back of the truck to get the trash. No mechanical arms here.
I love that recycling is made effortless with new (and free!) bins and no sorting required.
I love that people sincerely welcome you to Chelsea when they hear that you're new.
I love that I can walk to so many different little places from our house.
I love that we're in a fantastic school system.
I love that everyone seems to be a Chelsea Bulldogs fan.
I love that people take pride in their town.
I can't wait to have some visitors to show around! *hint hint!
1 comment:
These visitors can't wait to see Chelsea, as well. Thanks for the pictures and post. Enjoy the fall and we'll see if you still like Michigan in a couple of months! :) Dad
Post a Comment