Sunday, June 2, 2013

Spring Break in Roanoke~ Part 2

A month and a half later, I guess it's about time I finish writing about our visit to VA, huh??  Sheesh.
 
Bryce & Dena live near a lot of cool stuff, one of which is a transportation museum that we decided to explore.  On the way we stopped for a photo op with this miniature door, just 'cause it was cute.
 

Inside we wandered around looking into different rooms and at lots of displays of various kinds of transportation, like greyhound buses, trains, airplanes, and cars.















 



 
On our way home we stopped into this cool old building for lunch.  It was once a grocery store but had been converted into a kind of indoor food court.  I was drooling over the lovely pressed tin ceiling, exposed brick and window panes.  Such amazing character!

Bryce & Dena also humored me by taking me to the famous Black Dog Salvage that's just a few minutes from their house.  It was tons of fun walking around admiring all of the old "junk" they've collected and sell there.  I did leave with a few new flower prints to add to my collection that I hope to frame and hang someday.

And to top off the day we ordered some pretty amazing sushi for dinner.  Ohhh, the sushi...
 
The next day we drove up the hill where the Roanoke Star can be seen.  At night it's lit up and we could see it from Bryce & Dena's house.  We took a picnic with us then wandered around to see the view and then up to the star.




It was pretty windy and a little chilly up there, so everybody tried to find a nice warm spot to bask for a while.









That day was also Aaron's birthday, so deciding what to do for dinner was pretty easy.  His favorite-- PIZZA!  And not just any pizza, a MASSIVE PIZZA that fed 4 adults and 4 kids.

For dessert I got a strawberry rhubarb pie (Aaron's favorite- he's not big on cake), though I'm not sure how many of us actually ate the pie because we were so full from the pizza!




We had such a terrific trip, thanks for having us, guys!!!  We miss you and can't wait to see you again!

No comments: