Saturday, February 27, 2010

Holy TOYS!

Lately Aaron and I have felt like we've been drowning in toys. Well, not lately, really. It's been like that for quite a while. So last night Aaron announced to me that we were going to spend our Saturday sorting toys.
Yay.
As it turned out, I spent my Saturday sorting toys, with the help of the kids. Here's how the play room looked when we were done.

10 baskets, several full to almost overflowing.

And then there's the books. I won't even bother showing you those.

Well, after the kids and I sorted through every basket of toys in every room of the house, we decided that was enough for one day. The next step will be to help them go through the now sorted baskets and decide which toys will be kept and which will get donated.
I don't look forward to this step.
Neither does Pyper.
She has a deep attachment to every toy she's ever owned, even if she hasn't laid eyes on it in months. She breaks down into sobs at the idea that her toys might go to someone who won't treat them nicely.
Yikes.
If I were smart I'd do the next step by myself, while she's at school, so she has no idea what's going to the thrift store.
But that would really make her upset, so I think I'll just give her some help.

ANYWAY, after turning our play room into a disaster area, we decided to take a trip to Toys 'R Us. (I know what you're thinking Dad- "kidneys".) Aaron had gotten the idea that it would be fun to get one of those inflatable bounce houses to put in the play room because our kids just can't seem to remember that our furniture is not for jumping on. So, for the sake of the furniture (and our kids' hides), we came home with one of these.

We hadn't even cleared out the mess we'd made earlier before we started setting it up in a corner.
We had to use our (noisy) air mattress pump to inflate it.

I'm thinking we should've had this idea like, 4 months ago when we were just getting into the winter weather and the kids were going stir crazy cooped up inside all the time.
Sorry for the lousy photos, but I think you get the idea that the kids like their new bounce house. Hopefully it lasts for more than a day.

2 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Kidneys, indeed! "We have too many toys, so let's clean them up and then go to Toys R Us!" (And buy the biggest thing we can find, I might add.) Makes perfect sense to me. But I'm sure the kids will have a blast in there. Thanks for the post - we love hearing from you. Dad

ToDd said...

Am i the only one who thought they looked like baby buster when the air pump was on? Anyone?