Hakan just had what was probably a pretty traumatizing experience, or at least I hope it was. Yesterday I overheard him and Pyper playing and heard him say the S-word. I took him aside and had a very serious conversation with him about words that Mommy and Daddy don't say, which means it's not okay for him to say them. I explained that even though he might hear other people say them, we don't use those ugly words. He seemed to understand and I told him that if I ever heard him say it again he would have to eat soap.
Well, this morning in the car I heard him say it quietly to himself. He didn't want to admit that he'd said it and tried to lie about it. When I told him what was going to happen when we got home he flew into a tizzy. Needless to say the whole episode was pretty unpleasant, but we got through it. What I'm hoping is that it will keep him from ever, ever saying that filthy word again.
What I don't know is if this is the best way to go about it. Yes it was a punishment, but I see it as a teaching experience, too. Is there a better way, though? Our neighbor says they use Cepacol spray on their kids. I've heard of others using Tabasco. I don't want my kids to think I'm doing it to be cruel, but I really don't want them to think that swearing isn't taken very seriously around here.
Suggestions? Opinions? Advice? Even if you're not a parent, I want to know what you think.
1 comment:
If he wants to call you "Sarah" then I don't see what the problem is. Oh, you mean that s-word...
Post a Comment