Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Memorial Day and beyond

Over Memorial Day while we were in the Bay area we got together with Aaron's sister, Gwen, and her family at a cool park that was about halfway between us. Our kids love getting together with cousins, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.










These two are just so cute, I can hardly stand it.










Nearby a big group of people were gathered to participate in a service to observe Memorial Day.  There was a brass band playing and we could hear the patriotic music from the playground.


After the playground we followed Gwen and Caulin over to San Ramon for their Art and Wind Festival.  We wandered around to see what there was to see, crushed the kids' hopes of riding any of the rides and flat out refused to purchase anything whatsoever.  Still, we saw some cool stuff.  Pyper was particularly mesmerized by a group of amateur belly dancers that were performing.  (I'm pretty sure it was the prop swords and the promise of live snakes as part of their act that caught her interest.) For me the highlight of the festival was seeing this enormous octopus kite in flight. It. Was. Incredible.


It took at least 3 guys to handle it. Because it was such a windy day it looked absolutely amazing up in the air.

These two photos were taken with my phone so they're not great, but they show the whole thing a little better.



Here it is laid out in the outfield of the baseball field where it was being flown. I'm guessing it was about 100 feet long.


And because I'm slightly obsessed with this massive kite, here's a video of it (again, taken with my phone so, not fantastic, but still pretty cool.)  I love the way it moves and how it looks like it's under water.





Once our house was cleaned and we'd handed over the keys to the property managers (on Tuesday), we drove from Modesto up to Aaron's parents' house in Windsor to spend a couple of more days with them before we left California.

We spent some time at a local playground and then took the kids to swim.









We miss you, Campbells and Grandma & Grandpa!

No comments: