I've compained here before about our trouble finding a rental. Well, the trouble continues, and we're nearing the end of our apartment lease. Today Aaron and I visited a home that actually has potential, which is definitely encouraging. However, there's another home that's been in the back of our minds that we're still considering and we're having a really hard time deciding. So I thought I'd write out the pro's and con's (in no particular order) of each and see if one comes out on top.
Asheboro Drive
Pros:
-owner is the Bishop (no application fee or credit check & trustworthy landlord)
-4 bedrooms
-very close to elementary school, or Pyper could continue to attend the school she's in now
-friends established in this ward
-very low rent
-close to work
Cons:
-unsure of neighborhood (I've received conflicting opinions about it from people in the ward)
-teeny tiny yard
-ugly carpet
-unsure of nearby school
-no designated dining space
-laundry in garage
Kee Lane
Pros:
-very nice neighborhood
-good school district
-close to elementary school
-good sized yard
-nice interior throughout
-more square footage
-indoor laundry
Cons:
-application fees and credit check
-high rent
-only 3 bedrooms
-Pyper has to change schools (again)
-farther from work
-weird kitchen/dining/family room layout
Now obviously, if you just count the number of pro's and con's, there's a winner. But the trouble is that some of them weigh more heavily than others- for instance the ugliness of the carpet does not matter nearly as much to me as the tiny backyard at the Asheboro house. Probably the biggest factor here is the rent. What we save in rent directly influences how soon we'll be able to get a house of our own. The difference in price between these two homes is significant, too- hence the struggle.
What would you do? Care to weigh in? I'm sick of flip-flopping.
3 comments:
I would say the Asheboro house....I think that keeping Pyper where she is and being close to work are BIG pros.... A small yard is no fun but you could explore the neighborhood and maybe find some good parks that you could walk to which is good for you and would help with the weight watchers.... I don't know I am a penny pincher so I would go for cheaper rent and less out of pocket. Or just move back here!
Just do what we did. Just text Jennifer and have her say heads or tails. Problem solved.
I would definitely go with the cheaper rent. To me, the final outcome (a house of my own) is the ultimate goal and the quicker I can get there the better. The other things seem like trivialities that will be easily dealt with, especially when you can see buying your own home closer in the future! Good luck with your choice! I'm sure whatever you choose will be right for your family :)
Post a Comment