Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Something to share

I had an experience this past week that I wanted to share here. It's kind of personal, but when has that stopped me from sharing, right? Anyway, maybe it will touch one or two of you in some way.

(I wrote this down on Saturday night, with a few minor edits afterwards.)



On Wednesday night my visiting teachers, Sister Adams & Sister Cook, came over to see me. The message they shared was about spiritual and temporal education. We had a nice discussion about it and our feelings on the topic. The conversation shifted when Sister Adams mentioned a conference talk from a couple of years ago that was based on trying to choose the best for ourselves and our families. Doing those things that aren't just good, but the best. The phrase "choose the better part" was spoken, and I joked that I needed to find a way to display that all over my house.

For days after that visit, those four words stayed in the front of my mind. I've contemplated their meaning and wondered if the choices I make on a daily basis are even good, because they're certainly not the best. Choose the better part.

Tonight I am in Idaho Falls with my family, visiting Aaron's parents while they are in town caring for Grandma Bobbie after heart surgery. The kids were in bed, as was Gayla, and Aaron, David & I were looking for something to watch on TV. I quickly lost interest and came downstairs in search of something to read. I spotted a stack of magazines on an end table. A holiday issue of Family Circle didn't appeal to me. Underneath that was an outdated Ensign, and below that was the November 2007 issue- General Conference Addresses. I thought that even if this wasn't the issue with that talk in it, it'd still be more worthwhile than watching some dumb movie. I took it to the couch and made myself comfortable. Finding the index of talks I scanned for titles that sounded interesting and found several:

"Strengthening Home and Family" by Mary N. Cook
"Do It Now" by Elder Donald L Hallstrom
"Today Is the Time" by Elder Walter F. Gonzalez
"O Remember, Remember" by President Henry B. Eyring
"Mothers Who Know" By Julie B. Beck

When I came upon the title, "Good, Better, Best" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, I could hardly believe it. Was this the talk we'd been discussing just a few days ago? Was this the talk that had occupied my thoughts since Wednesday? Would I finally get to read it and more fully grasp the meaning of the phrase that's been stuck in my head-"choose the better part"? I quickly turned to the article and read it.

The talk was familiar. I vaguely remembered topics and phrases. It must have made an impression the first time I heard it, too. Sometimes Elder Oaks' words were gentle and encouraging, and other times they seemed to pierce my heart.

"We have to forgo some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

"Consider how we use our time in the choices we make in viewing television, playing video games, surfing the Internet, or reading books or magazines. Of course it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it."


How many hours a day do I spend in front of the computer? Checking e-mail, reading dozens of blog posts, scanning and responding on Facebook, idly browsing websites. HOURS every day. While my children do what? Watch TV? Play alone together? I feel so wasteful and selfish and slothful.

I could justify my actions by saying that in reading blogs of friends and family I'm keeping current on their lives. By checking my favorite craft blogs I'm "obtaining interesting information". Being on Facebook lets me interact with friends and relatives that I don't get to see or talk to every day. It's not like I'm doing anything bad. But justifying my actions isn't going to help. I needed to read that talk. I needed to realize that a change is necessary. The conversation with my visiting teachers planted the thoughts in my mind, and reading the talk has given me the unshakable desire and conviction to change.

Aaron came downstairs while I was finishing the article and I had to tell him about it. He seems pleased with my determination to make a conscious effort to "choose the better part". I think he's going to do the same. I know that our home and our children- our family- will be blessed by our efforts.

More teaching.
More learning.
More laughing.
More playing.
More memories.
More fun.

Luke 10:39-42
Acts 20:35
Alma 32:14-15




This is one of those experiences that isn't profound or spectacular or even noteworthy to anyone but me. I guess the real reason I wanted to share it is because it had an impact on me, and hopefully my family. The time I spend doing certain things in my day to day life is utterly wasteful and selfish. I want to change that. If you think you could benefit from Elder Oaks' talk, you can find it here.

I'm turning off my computer now, and taking the kids to the park. Here's to change!

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

Great post Sarah! I couldn't agree more. I have felt the Spirit teach me the very same thing lately. It's amazing what a difference it makes to make the extra effort and choose the better part. :)

Anderson Family said...

Thank you for sharing! It doesn't hurt for any of us to be reminded to choose the better part. It's a good feeling to know when you've done the BEST thing. You are such an awsome Mom!

XOXO
Mom