Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dinner tonight

As I was driving home from my baby appointment this afternoon, my stomach was growling and I was starting to feel quite queasy. Really? I need dinner at 4:30? What am I, 85? Anyway, I started wondering what I was going to do for dinner that would require minimal prep, minimal cook time and zero trips to the grocery store. The solution: my Dad's Norwegian Pancakes!



We LOVE these things. I had Aaron mix up the batter for me, so when I got home all I had to do was heat up the skillet and get them going. Here's the recipe if you'd like to give them a try. (The recipe below fed the 4 of us, with one left over. If you have a larger family or want some for later, just double it. They keep really well. Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and refrigerate.)

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth (though you may still have a few small lumps). Grease a frying pan with a dab of butter. Set the burner just above medium and heat the pan. Pour some batter (about 1/2 cup) into the middle of the pan and tip the edges of the pan around so the batter spreads out evenly on the bottom. Cook until lightly browned then turn and cook the other side. Fill with your choice of filling; roll up and enjoy!


Kinda like crepes (I think) but thicker and more filling, and you don't need a crepe maker. Super easy, super tasty, and using ingredients you always have! Our favorite fillings are butter with cinnamon & sugar and/or powdered sugar, and peanut butter and jam. I've also made a sweetened cream cheese spread before using cream cheese and powdered sugar whipped together, with a touch of vanilla.

This is one of those nostalgic recipes for me. You know, one of those foods where all it takes is a smell or a taste and it brings you right back home. My Dad served his mission in Norway and got this recipe there. He used to make these for us fairly often and they're just awesome. (Hakan is working on his third one right now and is going "Mmm" in between lip smacks.)


Anyway, hope you try these. You won't be disappointed!

4 comments:

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

That sounds so yummy. I will definitley try those and let you know. Since living in Belgium, crepes are one of my favorite things but are kind of hard to make just right. Maybe this will be the alternative I'm looking for. Good luck with the craziness and try to take it easy when you can. I just did a whole house cleaning, preparing food and hosting book club and I am spent! Being pregnant just isn't as easy as they say:)

taylor said...

Sounds yummy! I always heard about your dad's Norwegian pancakes but I have never had them. I will have to try and make them for Daniel and I one day. :) Thanks for the recipe!

The Thompson Family said...

I made them this morning and they were yummy. It is exactly what you said. In-between pancakes and crepes!

ToDd said...

did the kids have fun with them? did you have to roll them up?