Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Big, fat birthday post

Somehow, some way, I managed to survive last week. And even now that it's days behind me I'm still trying to recover. I knew that beastly list would catch up with me, but not only did it catch up, it snatched me by the hair, threw me to the ground and proceeded to beat the living daylights out of me. But I survived, and everything went pretty great.

Preschool on Tuesday was fairly simple due to two kids missing and having plenty for the others to do. Webelos went off without a hitch (in spite of 5 rowdy 10 year old boys), and Pyper's preschool party was a hit, with all 6 kids (and Hakan) having a blast. Brent & Zila got here safely on Thursday, and on Friday we enjoyed a romp at an awesome playground in Eagle while Aaron did a little work at the corporate office, then we headed to Red Robin for a nice birthday lunch.




Why is a TV in the floor so fascinating? I think this is the main reason why Pyper wanted to have lunch at Red Robin specifically.


Have you ever seen a kid enjoy being embarrassed so much?

Mom, Dad and Jennifer arrived Saturday afternoon and helped finish getting things ready for party #2. Food, games, presents, pinata, then finally cake and ice cream made for two hours of non-stop fun! The pinata was a big hit (pardon the pun) and I think everyone had a really good time. It was great having so much extra help around. 9 adults for 13 kids isn't a bad ratio. Thank goodness, too, otherwise that party would've consisted of a tribe of crazed kids wreaking havoc on my house and yard, while I curled up in a ball in a corner somewhere smacking myself repeatedly on the forehead with the pinata stick.

Some of the kids (and adults) participated in a rousing game of Duck, Duck, Goose.


Pyper was thrilled to get her first "real" jewelry.


Of course, anything Transformers is sure to be appreciated.


Is it just me, or does Aaron look a little terrified?


Love that face!


Post-pinata madness.




After the party on Saturday I heaved a huge sigh of relief. All done. Now I could relax and enjoy my company. Unforunately Brent's family had to leave first thing Sunday morning, but we were really glad they were able to come up. The kids played really well together and we had a good time hanging out with them again.

Another saving grace during last week was having several meals brought to us from various ladies from church. It was so nice to not have to worry about shopping for and cooking meals while I had so much else to do. And of course, my parents & sister did a lot to help me out before they left on Tuesday morning- doing dishes, washing and folding laundry, entertaining children, etc. I felt kind of guilty because they drove almost 11 hours to get here, only to spend half their time working. But it sure meant a lot to me. Thanks guys!

And finally, one more video. Thanks to everyone who came, gave Pyper cards, gifts, phone calls and well-wishes. Pyper is finally 5 and now I don't have to think about another birthday until, well, mine! :)

After each kid had about 4 turns hitting the pinata, we finally had to take some drastic measures. I didn't notice originally, but watch what Pyper does when the candy comes out of the pinata. I think she was the only one who didn't immediately dive for the floor. This video made me laugh until I cried.




No comments: