Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yet another project

I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice, comfy, affordable, sturdy, and preferrably antique rocking chair to take the place of the big armchair that is currently in our bedroom. I know, that's a lot of criteria to meet, but the other day I was scanning Craigslist and actually found one! The owner was out of town, so it took me a couple of days to get her friends to let us come and see it, but I'm so glad we did. It's really well made and I think is an authentic antique. There isn't a nail or screw in the entire thing, just well cut wooden joints. It's oak (I think) but has this nice dark stain that I really like, and there's just something about it that makes it look a little classier than a lot of rocking chairs I've come across. I also like that it's kind of low, so I won't need a foot stool to feel comfortable sitting in it.

The seat cover is going to have to go, though. It was this yucky beige moleskin fabric that was covered in cat hair. As I began removing the staples to take it off, I discovered that underneath that was the ugliest, filthiest pillowcase I'd ever seen encasing the plywood seat base and a feather pillow. Yeah, someone had actually used a regular old feather pillow as the cushion for the chair. Weird. Anyway, I polished it up with some Orange Glow and got it nice and clean, ready for its new seat. So now I just need to get some foam, a little batting and then I think I'll use some nice brown leather to cover the seat. I'd also really love to get a sheepskin to just toss on top for some extra coziness. Wouldn't that be nice to sit in to rock a baby?



No comments: