
This evening I was strolling through a thrift store, browsing the glassware shelves, listening to the radio station that was being piped through the store speakers. The DJ started naming the celebrities who've died recently. Ed McMahon- yep, heard about that. Farrah Fawcett- looked over a photo gallery of her life today. She was so beautiful. Then Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson??? I couldn't believe it. I immediately called Aaron to see if he'd heard this, and he hadn't. He looked it up online and found that it was true. I've been bummed ever since.
It was weird- on my way to that thrift store a song came on the radio that I just can't stand. Some song that seems to play every ten minutes or so that people must really love right now- and I just hate it. I changed the station and heard "Billy Jean". I smiled because no matter how many times I hear it, whether on the radio or coming through the shuffle on my iPod, I like it, I sing it, I enjoy it.

"Breakfast in Neverland", a mosaic cereal portrait by Jason Huntley.
So this is my tiny little tribute to one of my all-time favorite performers. Yes, Michael Jackson was a bit of a weirdy, but man was he an amazing entertainer. He was an original.
1 comment:
You should hear David Cook sing "Billie Jean"... it's obviously not as good as the original, but he makes it good in his own way.
Post a Comment