Monday, June 29, 2009

Snickerdoodle madness

Yesterday afternoon, having not much else to do and craving something sweet, I walked into the kitchen and started searching through my recipes. I needed a cookie. Then, from the living room, Aaron calls to me, "I need you to make me some cookies, okay? Thanks."

Hm. I guess we both needed a cookie. So I dug out my Snickerdoodle recipe and started assmebling ingredients. I had everything, just not enough of everything. After borrowing a little shortening from the neighbor, boosting the butter content to make up for what I lacked in shortening, and deciding that cream of tartar couldn't be all that important, I determined that I definitely needed to make a double batch.

8. Dozen. Cookies.

Yowzers.

After eating a ton ourselves and sharing with our neighbors, here's what's left.
We'll be eating these for at least a couple more days. Aaron will only eat them when they're soft, but a trick I've learned if your cookies harden too much is to put a slice of white bread in the container with them. The cookies will draw the moisture from the bread and stay soft- just like when you're trying to keep your brown sugar moist.

Why do they have to be so addicting? They're irresistable, especially when they're fresh from the oven and still warm and gooey. I ate waaay too many and ended up with a sugar headache and a major crash and burn about an hour later.
Here's the recipe I used, in case you're interested. The quantities on the left are what I used to make my mondo batch. I only had about 1 1/4 teaspoons of cream of tartar for my batch, but they still turned out really tasty. And the extra butter in place of the 1/2 cup of missing shortening just made them a little crumblier.


When they're done, enlist some help eating them. Believe me, they're worth sharing.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

i want.

Anderson Family said...

I LOVE snickerdoodles! Hmmmmm....

Mom

ToDd said...

i'm typing this comment after wiping the drool away. i wouldn't doubt it if crack was an ingredient. on a side note...does anyone else think hakan looks older with his marine haircut?

Z said...

I'm trying to diet, stop talking about food woman!

taylor said...

mmmm. I think I've been inspired.