Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pyper's Special Day

Last time I blogged about Hakan's Special Day, so this time I thought I'd tell you about the one that Pyper and I had on Saturday. We've actually been doing really well with the whole Special Day thing, which gives each kid some time alone with one of us regularly. But instead of doing it each Saturday for just Pyper or Hakan, Aaron and I decided that we need some time to ourselves now and then, too. So once a month each of us gets a Special Day, which for Aaron and I means a trip to the temple. Unfortunately we haven't figured out how to get there together yet (having a newborn makes finding a good babysitter a bit tricky) so for now we have to settle for going solo.

Anyway, back to Pyper's Day. We'd received an invitation from The Baby Place to attend a little celebration lunch for Midwives and Mothers at a park in Boise. (Mother's Day and Midwives Day are both celebrated in May.) It was a very casual potluck-style picnic where we just came, said hello to one of our midwives (only one attended), ate, let the kids play, then went home. The weather was really nice, though, and we enjoyed getting out of the house for a little while.

I only got to take 2 pictures before my camera battery died. Ah, well.


Afterwards we dropped the boys off at home, then Pyper and I headed out for her much anticipated Special Day. I kept what we'd be doing a secret, which always makes such things waaaay more exciting to her! First we stopped by the dollar store and bought a couple of movie-theater style boxes of candy (Whoppers, Nerds & Bazooka gum) then headed for the theater (Yes, we snuck in our treats. And yes, I told her we were breaking a rule. But frankly I think it ought to be illegal to charge $4.95 for a stupid box of candy). We hardly ever go to the "big theater" because it costs so much, but this time was special. It was just me and her, and I HAD to take her to see "Up" in 3-D. Only, I didn't know that they were showing it in regular format and 3-D, and the time I'd looked up was for the regular format showing. The 3-D showing was an hour later. So I pulled Pyper aside and explained, and she decided she didn't care if it was 3-D or not- she wanted to go in now! (She was about to explode, she was so excited.)

After getting back in line and waiting behind the 15 people who'd suddenly showed up during our 30-second conversation, we got our tickets, snapped a photo in front of their cool lobby display...

...then found our theater and got into our seats. All I can really say of this movie is - GO!! It is so, so funny and entertaining. Despite not being 3-D, we both really enjoyed it. The icing on the cake (which nearly sent Pyper through the roof) was receiving an "Up" poster on the way into the theater. She didn't get to unroll it and take a look until we got home (did I mention she loves surprises?) but of course the instant she did we had to hang it up in her room.

Guess what Daddy's taking Hakan to do for his Special Day next weekend?

Seriously though, you've got to go see this movie. I can't wait to buy it!!!

3 comments:

Anderson Family said...

And you are going to be sure Hakan gets a poster as well...

You make me so proud of you to be so diligent about making special time for the kids!

XOXO
Mom

Bryce 'n Dena said...

I definitely plan to check that movie out soon.

taylor said...

Dan and I saw it last week. So CUTE! Although, I didn't expect it to be such a tear-jerker!

And if you haven't gone back to do it yet, I would suggest seeing it in 3D! I couldn't believe how good it was!