Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hakan's special day


Shortly after Finn was born Aaron and I realized that our two older kids needed some more individual attention from us. So we decided to give each of them a weekly "special day" with one of us, all by themselves. It's not supposed to be anything extravagant or expensive, just some quality time with a parent. Today was Hakan's turn and since Aaron took Pyper out last time, I got to take him. Finnley tagged along, but Hakan didn't seem to mind.

We started by heading to Target and picking up a few things, including some new shoes, a foam dart gun and a very cool little cap for my very cool little guy.




Next we hit the Sonic drive-thru where Hakan enjoyed a Jr. Candy Sundae and I pretended to enjoy a small Diet Cherry Limeade. (Boy, their cheese sticks were looking mighty tasty... but I'm doing so good with my diet I didn't want to screw it up for a few bites of fried heaven. Solidarity!!)



After our treat we went over to the Caldwell library and Hakan picked out a few books.


Hakan seemed to appreciate the attention and really embraced the idea of a "special day". Pyper was a little jealous at first, but she ended up having a pretty special day as well. I brought her home a little surprise from Target, then after nap time we all headed down to Eagle to do a few errands. Dinner was Quizno's subs and then we let the kids play at the cool playground we visited back in October with Brent & Zila's family.


It's always nice to be able to spend a Saturday NOT cleaning the house top to bottom or flinging myself at a mountain of laundry that never seems to shrink, and just spending time with my family. Thanks, Aaron, for helping out so much with the house stuff. It was a great day.

5 comments:

Jared and Tara said...

how fun! hakan is such a cutie pie.

Anderson Family said...

Dad here. Glad you guys are doing something like this. I think we may have not done the one-on-one time with you guys as much as we would have liked. As the oldest of 6, I don't remember a lot of time alone with my Mom and Dad, but when I did get some, I enjoyed it. When we would get good report cards they would take us to a shake shop for milkshakes by ourselves, and I always enjoyed that. I even used to like to go with Dad to his mission reunions just to be able to spend some time with him. And golfing was always fun. Anyway, keep it up - the kids will enjoy it now and treasure it even more in the years to come.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you and Hayden! You are still just as beautiful as when you were in YW. Hey did you hear? Ertle is getting married in the LA temple. Good for him!!!

Anonymous said...

oops I meant Hakan - sorry!! I had a Betty moment.

taylor said...

What a sweet idea! I bet they will remember having their special days with each of you. And as always, Hakan is such a cute boy. :)