Friday, April 17, 2009

Oh. My. Goodness.

Over the last 24 hours, I've lost track of how many times the words, "That was a bad idea!" have come out of my mouth. My son seems to have suddenly lost his ability to tell the difference between what is okay, and what will cause Mommy to have an aneurysm. 'What is he thinking?!' I ask myself. Well, here's my guess.

Scene 1
Time: About 8:45 last night
Place: Mom & Dad's bathroom
What I'm supposed to be doing: Reading quietly in my bed.
What I'm actually doing: Something stupid and dangerous.
My thoughts at the time: Reading is boring. I think I'll go explore a place I shouldn't go and touch things I shouldn't touch. Hm, this looks interesting. Mommy puts this stuff on her face everyday, I bet it would look nice on me! Except instead of putting it on my lips I think I'll try it on my eyebrows. Man, now my eyebrows look weird. Maybe I'll use this thingy Daddy uses to take the hair off of his face and take my eyebrows off. Oooh, those look sharp and shiny. I wonder... OW! Geez, that hurt. Holy crap I'm BLEEDING! AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
(enter the stunned and bewildered parents)

Scene 2
Time: About 9:45 this morning
Place: Downstairs
What I'm supposed to be doing: Playing quietly with Pyper and/or watching TV so Mommy can sleep
What I'm actually doing: Something stupid
My thoughts at the time: Wow, what a nice day. Hey, is that the neighbor's cat in our back yard? What's he doing here? The neighbors say he's not a very nice cat, and that he likes to fight with all the other neighborhood cats. They also said that he doesn't like kids. But if he doesn't like kids, why did he come to visit us? Maybe he'd like to come in. There we go! He really did want to come inside! Uh, oh. There goes Pyper to tell on me. Oh, well. I'll just sit down here and enjoy a nice big bowl of Mommy's special cereal that I'm never allowed to have. Doo-dee-doo-dee-doo.
(enter the frazzled and startled Mama)

Scene 3
Time: About 11:00 this morning
Place: Backyard
What I'm supposed to be doing: Playing with Pyper and enjoying the nice weather
What I'm actually doing: Something stupid
My thoughts at the time: Phew, maybe letting that cat in the house wasn't such a good idea. Mommy looked a little deranged flying down those stairs like that. I thought I might die. I like our backyard. No wonder that cat was hanging out back here. It's kinda boring, though. And I kinda have to pee. I don't want to have to go all the way inside to pee. Oooh, that sandbox lid looks like a bowl. I bet it'll catch my wiz nicely. And I bet Pyper will freak out! Ha!! This should be fun!
(enter the confused and disgusted Mama)

Yes, it's been exciting around here lately. I guess it's only a matter of time before a 3 year-old boy decides to experiment with a razor, befriend a stray animal and pee outdoors. But all at once?!

Sadly, I only have one photo to go with this post.

Despite the bad ideas he has and the idiotic ways in which he executes them, we love our Hakie. And we continue to hold out hope that maybe, just maybe, someday he'll grow a brain.

7 comments:

Kory Jane said...

I LOVED this post. It made my night. I know you were not in the best mood at the time, but he just sounds adventurous and think of the memories he has made for you!!

Anderson Family said...

Oh, my gosh--I laughed until I cried at adventure #1!! To tell the truth, there were times when I wondered if you and your siblings had any brains when you were little (cough!@#$%&* Todd), but you all managed to grow to adulthood, in spite of yourselves.

Mom

The Thornburgs said...

It's so true, totally BOY!!I think when you have a girl first you have higher expectations and are completely shocked by boys behavior sometimes! ;) Just wait now you have trouble x2...that is my life!

Anderson Family said...

Dad here. I think the best part of the post is the way you seem to be able to put yourself into the head of a 3 year old. There may still be some residual young Sarah in there. Like: "I wonder what a bull ant tastes like?" or "What kind of dent will this make if I throw it at Bryce?" We loved the post and hope both you and Hakan survive this phase of his life. :}

ToDd said...

first of all, mom...your cough was not that subtle...secondly, i completely agree with hakan's thought process. sandbox lids DO make great wiz catchers. i think the kid is freakin hilarious.

Anderson Family said...

Dad here.
Sorry Todd, sublety was never your forte. And I'm still waiting for the day when Hakan wants to go roller skating with a broken arm. But you are right in that Hakan is pretty funny. We love him.

Cyndy said...

Hey, in Hakan's defense...I've been meaning to write a note to you, Sarah, and tell you how impressed I was at his behavior during Todd and Kristen's reception. I know he was totally hyped up on sugar and excitement, but he never acted "bratty" at all, just very, very funny and cute as could be. And he has the best eyebrows ever! I think all your kids are great, as a matter of fact.

Aunt Cyndy

PS Believe it or not, it was my little daughter (Megan) who did all those crazy kinds of things as a child. Tom didn't go maniac until he was a little older.