I asked Pyper what her list of "to do's" included and geocaching was on it. Grandpa Dean obliged, and this time I got to go, too! They knew just where the box was from our previous visits, so there wasn't much of a hunt, but opening it to find whistles inside was a thrill. (For them, anyway. My ears were ringing before they'd even unwrapped them.)
My sister, Kimberly, accompanied us on our trek.
After a little hike we went to the overlook so the kids could play in the sand in some shade.
That evening Grandma Pam had planned an outdoor meal cooked over the fire. I forget what they're called, but she had these really long dowels with a fat wooden end on them, and you stretch a canned biscuit around the fat end and cook it over the fire. It's supposed to cook into a tube and then you slide if off your stick you fill it with things like hamburger, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream - kinda like tacos.
We struggled a little with the biscuit-cooking, but the s'mores went very well.
On Thursday we headed into town and let the kids play at the local splash pad in the park.
Aaron flew in on Friday and joined us for a ride out on the dunes in the Jeep.
We can always count on Grandpa to give us a wild (but safe) ride!
Hakan hijacked my camera and, as usual, got some pretty nice pictures.
These last two are Hakan's handiwork as well.
The kids and I stayed for about a week and I thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing time I got to spend with my family. Aaron and I celebrated our 12th anniversary while we were there, so we went to lunch at the restaurant where Kimberly works and bought a framed art photograph from the gallery upstairs as our gift to each other. I'm hoping this becomes a tradition so we can build a "collection" of pieces that we've picked out together.
We also went to church and celebrated Father's day, went on some walks and played in the sand, visited the critters at the park's Visitors Center and did a whole lot of nothin' in between. It was fantastic!
Thanks, Mom and Dad, for taking such good care of us. I realize there are worse things than having your house invaded by grandkids, but I also know that it can be stressful and irritating sometimes, and for that I apologize. But thanks for making us feel welcome and content anyway. I cherish our visit with you guys because I know it will be our last one for quite a while. We miss you already!
And Kimberly, you're such a fun aunt, my kids adore you! Thank you for paying such special attention to each of them, and for taking Pyper with you to St. George. Trust me, she LOVED it and will remember it for a very long time.
WE LOVE YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment