Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween

I figured the logical follow-up to the pumpkin picking post would be a pumpkin carving post. Here are a ton of photos of how the kids mutilated, I mean decorated their pumpkins. :)














Okay, I have a confession to make- I'm not a fan of Halloween. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age, but why on earth do we celebrate this "holiday"?? Strangers put on weird make-up and freaky costumes and come in droves to my house- at night- demanding that I give them stuff. What's more, my kids do the same thing to other strangers then come home with a mountain of candy that I have to attempt to ration for the next several months. Aaron agrees with me, so don't think I'm the only humbug around here! But I play along and try to make it as much fun as possible for my kids, because I know they love it.

Anyway, speech over. This year I tried to think of costume ideas what would be easy for me but exciting for the kids, and I think I came up with a winner. Pyper and Hakan frequently play "super hero" by putting on capes- Pyper using her red riding hood from two Halloweens ago and Hakan wearing a little apron backwards- and jumping off furniture, bounding up and down the halls and yelling, "Super hero HAKAN!" and "Super hero PYPER!", then dashing off to save a stuffed animal from annihilation. It's really funny, so the idea for costumes was born. No patterns needed, easy construction, cheap and minimal materials and warm. Yay! They both really liked them and I think they turned out cute. These are also things that they can keep in the dress-up chest and play with for quite a while.

I just love Pyper's super-serious super hero face. It cracks me up.






Off they go to terrorize the neighborhood.



Aaron has become the designated trick-or-treating escort while I stay home to hand out candy. This year I walked with them halfway down the block so I could see them trick-or-treat at a couple of houses, then headed home. They stayed gone for a couple of hours (well past dark), so I'm glad I didn't try to go the whole way. Boy, did they rack up. What are we going to do with all of this?? Oh, and there's still plenty left over that we didn't give out to kids that came by. *sigh* I'm going to get so fat.

8 comments:

Amy S. said...

Love the costumes. Absolutely adorable.

I don't exactly get Halloween either, but I have to admit, I do think kids can be awfully cute. I mean, c'mon! Look at those super heroes! :)

Kory Jane said...

ok, so those are costumes that you just threw together? That makes me feel even worse about the ones I did. How about I have you design my costumes for next year?

taylor said...

Their costumes are so precious! I love that it's just something made from their imagination and fun games.

And despite all the crazy shenanigans of Halloween I think it is quite fun for little kids..and well, I think it's even more fun to see them dressed up all cute. :)

Kimberly said...

HEE! I love Halloween! Sure, it started out as a pagan holliday, but I love any excuse to dress up! I ended up re-using one of the anime costumes I wore last weekend at the convention I went to, but it was still fun! I know I'll be dressing up for YEARS to come. :D

Keith said...

Sarah, you have some stupid cute kids. I can't get over that picture where Hakan is turned around and laughing at the camera. They are so lucky to have a mom that can make their imaginations come to life. Your the best.

The Thompson Family said...

How cute! That is such a cute idea to make them super heroes. It looks like you guys ha a lot of fun!

ToDd said...

that boy of your's is too freakin cute!! i love the picture where he's holding his hands and laughing. and pyper is adorable in the pumpkin head pic. i think would you should dress hakan up as calvin (from calvin and hobbes) for next year. you could even sew a little hobbes doll. sorry...action figure.

Jared and Tara said...

what cute costumes! your kids are adorable sarah.