... and he says that I do have cancer-- again. *sigh* So much for hoping it's nothing.
As before, it's basal cell carcinoma, which is slow-growing and rarely spreads, unless it's left untreated then it can grow and metastesize to lymph nodes, surrounding tissue and bone (see link for more info). Yikes. Mine is a superficial type (again, more about the 3 types of b.c.c. in the link), which is probably the least noticeable and can actually be treated with a prescription cream instead of being surgically removed. The doctor who I went to see in Rexburg discussed this with me when I was there and even showed me photos of before, during and after treatment. You apply the cream for six weeks, during which time the spot and the surrounding area get super gross looking- like it's been badly burned and is trying to heal. Then you stop putting the cream on and it heals up leaving no scarring, and supposedly taking the cancer with it. Going this route would mean that I could start the treatment now and start healing by around New Years. It would also mean having an oozing, scabby forehead for six weeks. And there's no guarantee that it will get rid of all of the cancer.
My other option, of course, is to have it cut out. This would be the quickest method and would ensure that it all gets removed. It also means that I have to get my head cut into (which is never pleasant), end up with a potentially bigger scar than I already have, and making yet another trip back to Rexburg in the winter.
I'm still weighing the options, and there are a few other things to consider that we just need to wait a little bit to find out about before making a decision.
Dr. Bagley said he's often wondered how I was doing after my first surgery because I was the youngest patient he'd ever had with skin cancer. Don't I feel special. I guess what's frustrating is that this is the second time in less than 5 years that I've had to deal with this, and I'm not even 30. I'm fairly certain this is something that will occur for the rest of my life.
3 comments:
I guess there is some kind of punishment for being a beautiful, fair-skinned redhead!!!!
Sorry to hear about your cancer but on the plus side it looks like you had a nice trip to Rexburg! Probably stretching the optomistic thing a little there but hopefully whichever way you choose to deal with the cancer goes well and is all over quickly! Loved the picture of you and the guitar; nice baby bump!
Sarah oh Sarah where art thou?
Post a Comment