I slept for about an hour and a half and got up still feeling worn out. Around 10:30 I started feeling some pain on the left side of my abdomen which steadily got worse until I was grimacing and holding myself. I couldn't even stand up straight. I tried walking around to see if that made a difference, but it wouldn't completely go away no matter what. It HURT. But it didn't seem to be coming and going the way contractions do, my stomach wasn't getting rock hard the way it does with contractions, and it wasn't getting better. So I called my midwife's office and described what was going on, wondering if it was something I should be concerned with. This has never happened before so I really didn't know what to think. And since they close early on Thursday and Friday I figured it'd be better to call while they were open than to wait and wonder...
She asked me to come in. I called Aaron and told him I was hurting, so he hopped in the car and drove the half hour home from work. In the meantime I finished getting myself and the kids dressed, finished packing my overnight bag and packed some things for the kids in case we'd need to take them to someone's house. Now let me say here that I really did not think that "this was it". Really. But if there's one thing that I've learned when it comes to babies, it's BE PREPARED. As we were getting ready to leave the neighbor noticed us loading bags and the car seat into the car and asked what was up. I felt silly telling her that we might be having a baby, but quickly explained that I just didn't know what was going on and figured we might as well take everything "just in case". I don't know how many times I've said those words today- "just in case"- to her, to Aaron, to Pyper (several times), but I think it was mostly to help me not feel so silly about bringing all that stuff.
ANYWAY, we had to wait about half an hour to see the midwife and of course before we'd even gotten there my pain was gone. Of course. This didn't surprise me, and it didn't bother me either. I still wanted to know what she thought had caused it. She did her usual stuff- urinalysis, weight, blood pressure- all good. Then she did an ultrasound to check the placenta (also good) and we got an awesome look at our baby's sweet face. Looks like he has Aaron's lips. :)
Since we were there I asked if she'd mind checking me to see if I've made any progress dilating, just out of curiosity. If I wasn't already laying down I would've fallen over when she told me that I'm already at 4 cm! Totally shocked by that. With my other two I've never made any progress until I was actually in labor, so to start off at almost halfway before labor even starts is very encouraging. Crossing my fingers that means a short labor and delivery!
After we left there we had a couple of hours to kill until we could go to the chiropractor so we could all get adjusted (no sense driving all the way home just to drive right back). We ate some lunch at Panda Express, had doughnuts at Krispie Kreme, then went over to the doctor's office where we took Pyper last week to have another urinalysis done. (I didn't write about that episode on this blog, so if you want to get caught up on that whole thing, go here and read the posts for 2/22 and 2/24.) The results weren't perfect this time like we were hoping. She's still showing traces of blood which he can't explain, but everything else that was in there-- ketones, bilirubens, etc.-- were gone. He said that since she's not showing any symptoms anymore, she's been on antibiotics, and the other traces are gone that he's hesitant to do anything else. We were fine with that. We'll just monitor her for symptoms and have her back in probably a month for her Kindergarten physical. They'll do another urinalysis then and hopefully everything will be normal.
Got to the chiropractor right on time, we all got straightened out then went home. The kids and I laid down for a nap (it was 4:00 by then) and I got to sleep for a couple more hours. Two naps in one day and I'm still feeling tired!! The day's not over yet, though. I realized when I got home that I didn't have my phone. Turns out I left it at Krispie Kreme. So when the kids get up we're going to have to drive back to Meridian to get it. Another hour in the car. Goody.
On a happier note, look what we finally got!

Ain't it perty? I ordered it on Walmart.com and had it sent to the store near Aaron's work (it's in Oregon so no sales tax-- heehee!) and it just showed up yesterday. Now I can have this baby whenever without worrying about how to get him home! :)
Okay, off to retrieve my stupid phone...
No comments:
Post a Comment