Monday, April 14, 2008

Curious quails

A couple of mornings this past week I've gotten out of bed, walked to the bedroom window to open the curtains and blinds, and found that our back fence has attracted some quails. I'm not sure why I find this so neat- I guess I'm not used to seeing this type of bird. The first time there was only one, then this morning there was a family of 5. Unfortunately, by the time I ran upstairs to get my camera and came back, they were in the process of hopping to the other side of the fence so I only got 3 in the (blurry) photo. Ah, well. Maybe I'll get a better shot next time they come to visit.

Don't you just love that cute little apostrophe-shaped feather sticking out from his forehead?


I've never been a birdwatcher, per say, but since we moved into this house I've really enjoyed noticing the different varieties that I can see from our back windows and kitchen door and pointing them out to the kids. Behind the house is a large open area where no developing has happened because it's going to be a school (someday). In the meantime it's kind of bare and ugly, but apparently a really good place for birds to come look for food. I've seen huge flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds, several different kinds of hawks hunting, robins, sparrows, seagulls, pheasants, and lots of others that I can't identify.

Who knows if we'll still be in this house when the school gets built, but if we are I know I'm going to be sad to see the birds forced to find someplace else to hang out.

2 comments:

Megan G said...

Those are the fattest quail I've ever seen!! We have quail here in Tucson too and I love watching them. They're especially cute when they have a bunch of little babies trailing behind them!

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Cody's parents have quail near them and they are a very fun bird to watch run around. I was never a bird watcher but Cody LOVES to look for and talk about birds. I love being married to a fellow nerd!