Saturday, April 12, 2008

New Project (WARNING: pretty boring)

Man, I'm beat! We just spent a couple of hours out in the garage organizing, sorting, moving, and decluttering our last truckload of stuff that we'd brought back from Rexburg a couple of weeks ago. Aaron really wants to be able to park in there again, and even though it's a 3 car garage we could barely even manouver through it. We were also starting to have mouse issues, so that encouraged us further to clean it up. I hate that my Saturday is almost over, but it really was a very productive day. In fact, I even got a start on a fun new non-shoe-related project. This is the first I've had in quite some time. It's an ottoman that used to belong to an armchair that I recovered a while back, but never got around to doing the ottoman. I've been toting it from house to house for the past 3 moves, and I think Aaron's glad that I'm getting it out of the garage and finally putting it to use! Slipcovering it seemed to be a good idea because it's going in the playroom upstairs, which means it needs to be washable.




When I started working on the chair I also went ahead and tore off the outer fabric and removed the feet of the ottoman, but the feet went missing during a move. But, as it was already deconstructed, the hard part was taken care of. I glued the foam back onto the base then covered the whole thing in white fabric. The slipcover I'm making for it is going to be a solid red cotton canvas with some stripey piping and a floor-length pleated skirt. I'm really excited about this because I've never done a slipcover before, but it seems to be going well so far. The top half is finished, but I think I'm going to wait for the feet that I ordered to arrive before starting on the skirt, just to make sure I get it the right length. There will be a band of striped piping between the top portion and the skirt as well- I like piping. :) I hope that when I'm done it will look something like this:

Okay, I realize that many, it not all of you were just bored to tears by this post and hopefully don't feel too cheated by having wasted five minutes of your life on it. Please accept my apologies, but I wasn't about to not put it on here since I just spent a good half hour writing it, finding & taking & uploading photos and, afterall, I did warn you.

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

Not boring at all Sara - more like amazing you can do those kinds of things. Amazing.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

You amaze me. So crafty and energetic of you.