Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Shipping, Shopping, Stitches & Sketches


What a lovely sight! Inside this box are 20 pairs of lovingly made baby shoes in varying sizes and designs, which took me 2+ weeks to complete. I've been trying to average 12-15 pairs a week, with about half being wholesale orders and the other half ordered from my Etsy shop. These are headed to a little boutique in Oakland shortly. Aaahhh, it's just such a relief when a project like this is finally complete. This week starts another: 20 pairs of the exact same shoe in the exact same size. This could get tedious, especially since I'm trying to get them made and shipped by next Wednesday before we leave for California.

Well, on to the next subject: Shopping!! My very favorite thing. I've probably been doing more of this than I should lately, but it's just so much fun! And I've been really transfixed by all that this area has to offer compared to Rexburg. Poor, shopping-barren Rexburg. Anyway, this afternoon I'll be in Meridian and thought I'd take the opportunity to go down to the Boise outlet stores to do some summer clothes shopping for the kids- alone. They have a Carter's and an Oshkosh store that are terrific. Weather-wise today probably isn't the best day to shop for summer (it's really chilly, cloudy, windy and just ugly out), but I'm really looking forward to it.

The trip to Meridian won't be a fun one- today the stitches come out. I've been tempted to post a photo of my leg wound on here, but figured if I did many of you may never come back. It's really ugly. It got very bruised and even though the stitches are still covered by a suture strip, you can still see the dried blood and dark blue threads underneath. Blecchh!! Both my leg & back are still sensitive, so I'm kind of afraid that they're not ready to be messed with quite yet. It's only been a week, afterall. Ah, well. No arguing with doctors, I suppose.


Last night I made a new goal for myself: Do a sketch a day for... I don't know, a year. I dug out this old leather-bound book that I've had for years and decided to make it my new sketchbook. It's small enough to carry with me, and the pages are blank so I don't have to contend with lines through my drawings. Yes, it may seem kind of silly, but sometimes I feel my creativity lagging and need a boost, or I just need something to scribble on, and I think this will be just the thing. One of my
favorite craft bloggers suggested doing this and I thought I'd give it a try. Here's my first sketch:



Yes, more baby shoes. I've been wanting to do some sort of summery design with cutouts in the felt, so I drew this Mary Jane style shoe with little teardrop shapes cut out of the front. I'm not sure how exactly to go about making them yet, but at least I've got the idea down on paper now. (Sorry about the crappy photos. The two sketchbook ones were taken at about 3 a.m. under my table lamp.)

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

Sarah, I've got three words for you - you.are.amazing.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Great job with the shoes. I have no idea how you get so much done but being awake at 3am might give me a clue! You're amazing.