Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fat lips, fun new projects & cheapy funky finds

After I wrote my last post, we had a little more excitement happen during my Mom's visit. That evening we sat down at the table for a nice dinner, in the middle of which Hakan took a dive off his chair and landed face first on the floor. He was bleeding everywhere and I was afraid he'd knocked some teeth out. Turns out he busted his bottom lip pretty bad and at least bruised the inside of his top lip- he still won't let me get a closer look to see if it got split, too. Poor little guy- he's so stupid. One of these days he'll figure out what gravity is, and that his head consists of more than just what's at eye level. This kid bonks his head at least twice a day and is almost always covered in bruises and scrapes.




Well, in preparation for Mom's visit I finally finished putting together our guest room. This is the first time since we moved in that we've actually needed to use it, so I was glad to have a reason to get it in a somewhat finished state.






Lately I've been in a "project-y" mood, so Pyper and I finally filled these vintage-looking jars that I bought a few weeks ago at Target with plants for our terrariums. Inside the big ones we put some Ivy and some Purple Waffle, and for the little one we just put in one White Brocade. It's hard to see inside them in the photo, but I really like how they look lined up in the big window in the play room upstairs. I had a couple of the White Brocade left over, so I potted them together and set them on the behemoth dresser in our room. Aren't those leaves so pretty?






Yet another project that's been started is the planter boxes we want to start our vegetable garden in. This being a rental house, we don't dare dig up the lawn to put in a proper garden, so we decided to do container veggies again. There's 18" of bark around the edge of the house, and the longest length happens to be on the southern side of the house. So yesterday we made a trip to the Home Depot and picked up some cedar fencing planks and a 2x2 and Aaron whipped up our first box. I think it's going to work pretty well. We plan on making 4 more, then we just need to decide what we want to grow in them!




Now, I realize this is already a pretty big post, but I'm trying to blog less often which means more at a time, see? So finally, I wanted to do a little show-and-tell with some stuff I picked up recently that I'm really liking. I was at Ross the other day and scored big on some vases that I just couldn't resist. I bought 5 for $4-$6 each and put my favorite on my dresser along with this cool carved box that has these cute little drawers in it (I have a thing for boxes with drawers). My second favorite went into the guest room because it matches the aqua coverlet so well. Pretty, huh? And that mother of pearl frame was just too pretty to pass up. I got that at World Market, one of my new favorite places to waste time. :)


No comments: