Tuesday, June 17, 2008

8 years!


8 years ago today, Aaron and I were sealed in the Raleigh, North Carolina temple. We'd been mulling over possibilities for how to spend our special day, and finally this morning we decided to just have a fun family day in Boise. First was lunch at The Cheesecake Factory restaraunt at the mall. Neither of us had ever eaten at a Cheesecake Factory, except about 6 years ago when all we had was cheesecake. The building was spectacular, inside and out, and Aaron said he felt a little under dressed wearing shorts and flip-flops in such a nice place. Marble everywhere, murals and paintings on the walls and ceiling, columns, blown glass light fixtures, sky-high ceilings, engraved copper door plates- I couldn't stop admiring the details! Are they all like that?? I just wish I could have taken more pictures. And of course the food was good, but the cheesecake was spectacular! I was sad that I couln't finish mine (Chocolate Raspberry Truffle- I highly recommend it). On our way out the door we were passed by a guy who Aaron recognized as an old mission buddy. We hadn't seen him since we were newlyweds at Ricks College, so it was a strange coincidence bumping into him like that. We caught up for a few minutes then walked away smiling at what a small world it is.




Next we drove into downtown Boise to a large park where the Boise Zoo, Discovery Center, a rose garden and several museums are. When we went to the Discovery Center with my Mom last month we noticed a little lake where people were riding around in paddle wheel boats. We decided to go for a ride on them today, so while we looked around for the boat house we took a stroll through the rose garden. It was amazing! I couldn't get over how many rose bushes there were and they were all in full bloom. It was just so, so beautiful and smelled heavenly. There was a water fountain on each end of the garden, and a pretty little gazebo in the middle. There were benches placed along the path and hidden in the roses, and the whole thing was exquisite. I didn't want to leave, but Aaron and the kids were getting bored. :)








When we went to the Discovery Center with my Mom last month we'd noticed a little lake where people were riding around in paddle wheel boats. We finally found where to rent them and after making a run to Winco for some cash, we scored ourselves a couple and took off. The lake was full of geese and ducks that would wait until you were about a foot from hitting them before they'd scoot out of the way. It was a hot day, but there was a nice breeze and being on the lake was really relaxing. We worked off a little of our lunch paddling around for half an hour, then back to the docks we went. Afterwards we got ourselves a blueberry snowcone to cool off, then let the kids play at a nearby playground for a bit.


Finally it was time to head home, and just in time, too. Driving back Hakan had a major meltdown. He was so tired that he wouldn't even open his eyes while he had his fit. He got even madder when I started taking his picture. I guess it isn't necessary to document everything. :)


But today was good. Today was worth documenting.

3 comments:

Anderson Family said...

It sounds like you had wonderful day, celebrating your anniversary. I'm glad you got back to the lake to ride the paddle boats--Pyper so had her heart set on trying them out the day were at the museum!
Mom

Amy S. said...

What a fun, fun day! Those flowers are beautiful.
Now I'm craving cheesecake.....

ToDd said...

hakan looks like paddington bear with that hat. haha