
SHAME on me for not writing about my own Dad in yesterday's post! Shame, shame, shame! Well, better late than never, right?
I love and respect my Dad for so many reasons that I don't even know where to begin. First of all, my Dad has waaaay more patience than a father of 6 kids ought to. I mean, you'd think that we'd just suck the patience right out of him, but clearly he was meant to be a great Dad from the start 'cause it takes a lot to get to him. I know that I am personally responsible for a good portion of his "silver" hairs, and can only hope that he's forgiven me for those awful teenage years when all I cared about was me and how hard and complicated and unjust my life was. And even now that I'm 27 and sometimes relapse into that teenage mindset, I know my Dad will still help me out and let me know that he thinks that what I'm dealing with really is important.
My Dad is a very interesting individual. He likes computer video games and photography. He likes movies and has a knack for memorizing dialogue. A little Monty Python, anyone? He likes classic rock and peanut clusters. He knows how to load, shoot & clean lots of different kinds of guns, including those old pirate-style, black powder pistols. He knows how to scuba dive and drive a motorcycle. He attended and passed his peace officer training at the Police Academy to become a park ranger at the age of 50. My Dad is doing what he loves and what he's always wanted to do, and I totally love that!
My Dad is a card whiz. Whenever we get to play Nerts everyone wants to be partners with Dad, 'cause you're basically assured a victory. He doesn't like to brag about it but... oh, wait, yes he does! :) My Dad is also a really good sport.
My Dad likes to drive. When he has vacation time he usually spends it driving hours and hours to be with members of his family (including us!). It's hard to argue with my Dad (believe me, I've tried) because he's basically always right. He's logical and practical, but sensitive and compassionate as well. My Dad loves my Mom and it shows in the way he talks to and about her, and the way he treats her. My Dad loves his children, his grandchildren, his entire family- and we love him back.
I wish I could have written something that would have done my Dad a bit more justice. He's just a great, great guy, and anyone who knows him would definitely agree. He is fantastic (and I'm not just saying that because I know he reads my blog!) You're the best, Dad.

No comments:
Post a Comment