So to kick things off right, and to help the kids be aware of the changes we'll be making, we gathered up the recycling that's been accumulating in our kitchen and garage and made a trip to the bins.
Yikes.
Afterwards we went to Home Depot and picked up a new house plant. What I really wanted to do was buy a plant that we could start indoors, then plant outside in the spring, but they didn't have anything like that available. That's okay, though. The point we were trying to make with this was that we want to be kinder to the Earth, and I think the kids (well, Pyper at least) gets it. She loves to "recycle" and fully appreciates being able to reuse something. I'll start to toss something in the garbage and she'll take it and say, "Maybe I can use it for something." She's so funny.
-lower your thermostat in winter and raise it in the summer
-use compact flourescent light (CFL) bulbs instead of incandescent
-use a "smart" power strip that senses when things like computers and TVs aren't on, to reduce "vampire" energy use
-wash clothes in cold water when possible
-use cloth shopping bags everywhere
-use dryer balls to cut drying time
-install low-flow shower heads
-buy second hand (clothing, toys, furniture, decor, etc.)
-borrow books from the library instead of buying
-buy in bulk
-invest in high quality, long lasting products
-lower water heater setting to 120 degrees or "medium"
-hang clothes to dry
-recycle!
-use cloth diapers instead of disposable
-turn off the lights
-use rechargeable batteries
-purchase products that use less packaging (i.e. buy juice concentrate and mix in an empty juice bottle instead of buying bottle after bottle of 'real' juice)
Obviously there are TONS of other ideas out there for reducing our impact on the environment, but these are the ones we've come up with so far that we're going to try out. If you have some ideas please let me know! I'm really excited to start doing these things, and hopefully you'll try a few of them yourselves.
I have a lot of cloth tote bags that I use for shopping, but this one is my new favorite! Bryce & Dena sent us a black one for Christmas. It's flippin' awesome.
2 comments:
Ha Ha, I love the bags as well. Where we would be without a little Dwight on hand. I like your ideas, but I don't think I could do the cloth diapers. I know that disposable are not good for the environment, but I just don't think I could take that leap....hence why I hate potty training. But good luck with everything. I noticed on facebook you said you hate your hair...did you cut it?
You might already do this, but my sister-in-law has practically banned napkins and paper towels in her house. She went out and bought some decent sized rags to use instead.
Also she makes a lot of her own cleaning solutions just by mixing vinegar and water and putting it in a reusable spray bottle. It actually cleans most everything pretty well!
Anyway, that's my 2 cents that I actually stole from my sister-in-law! Good luck with your resolution! :)
Post a Comment