Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What. A. Day.

It all began at around 5 a.m. when we had to get up and get ready to take Aaron to the airport. It's been foggy lately, so even though it only takes 30 minutes to get there and his flight wasn't until 7:45, we wanted to give ourselves plenty of time- just in case. We woke two cranky kids and left the house at 5:45. Despite the fog, it still only took half an hour so Aaron had plenty of time to catch his flight to Ohio. The kids and I dropped him at the curb, said our goodbyes, then drove home.

I laid back down for an hour while they watched TV quietly, then up I got to get ready for my baby appointment at 10. Getting ready was rushed (as it usually is when I have somewhere to be), so by the time we finally got out the door I was a bit cranky. And hungry. No time for food- I was going to be late. Pyper had been invited to a friend's house so I drove her over there to drop her off. Heading back to the car I wasn't stepping carefully enough and slipped. I fell- HARD- on my left hip and leg without breaking my fall whatsover on the way down. I got up slowly, brushed myself off then stood at the car door breathing hard and trying not to cry. Man, that hurt. My shoes were caked in mud, my pants were dirty but I didn't have time to go home and change. I just went to my appointment. All the way there I knew I'd felt some leakage when I hit the ground, but I kept telling myself it was probably just a little loss of bladder control (not to gross anyone out, but that's not uncommon during pregnancy).

I arrived on time to my appointment, really jarred and feeling a little sore already. I left my muddy shoes by the door and proceeded with the usual exams. This time they drew some blood to check my iron (which Hakan, once again, watched with fascination while I kept my eyes firmly averted). When I told my midwife about my fall she got concerned and fired up the ultrasound machine. A few minutes later I was laying on my back, looking at my son on the screen and feeling reassured because he was moving around and still had plenty of fluid surrounding him. She was no longer concerned about my bag of waters breaking, but about my body and how I'd feel in the coming days. She suggested chiropractic, which I heartily agreed would be a good idea. I left with a couple of referrals and the determination to get myself fixed very, very soon.

Hakan fell asleep driving home, poor thing, and took a good nap while I got some work done on shoes. Pyper eventually came home but did not think she needed a nap. I consented and proceeded to regret it for the rest of the day. She and Hakan would play, fight, play, scream, tease, play, etc. until I couldn't stand it anymore and threatened to send them both to their rooms. We had dinner early, then I tried to get my preschool lesson together for tomorrow. Somewhere in there I'd managed to get myself a chiropractic appointment scheduled for Friday. By this time I was feeling overwhelmed- I still had to go to Scouts. Considering bailing out I called my partner and we discussed our plans for the evening. Nothing super involved, very low key. Perfect.

I decided not to flake and packed the kids over to her house at 6. It. Was. CRAZY. We had ten 10-year olds there tonight. TEN! Mind you, up until now if we had 5 show up we'd consider that good attendence. Tonight there were ten and several of them were in rare form- shouting, shoving, disrupting and being generally obnoxious. At one point I'd finally had it and laid into them with this speech about how disprespectful they were being, and how unfair it was to the other boys because we couldn't get anything done with them behaving that way. On and on about how I'm not going to come and be their babysitter and that we're doing this to help them achieve something they could be proud of, blah blah blah. I'm sure they thought I was a big, fat, pregnant jerk, but it worked. I just hope that now they realize that they can't act like idiots and expect us to put up with it. SUCH a frustrating meeting.

I didn't end up leaving until 7:45, so by the time the kids and I went to the store for preschool snacks and soccer juice, it was bed time. Poor Hakan, he just doesn't know when to NOT piss me off. He decided not to answer me when I called his name six times and warned him six more times to answer me, so I went a little ballistic on him. I CAN'T STAND being ignored, and at the end of a day like this it was just the last straw. Then Pyper decided to have a meltdown because she wanted to sleep in my bed and not alone in hers. I'd had it. No more arguing and fighting and yelling. I was done.

I know this was probably not a fun post to read, but it's been therapeutic for me to write it out. I complained to Aaron plenty over the phone about my crummy day, but I guess I needed to let it out a little more. I just want to survive preschool in the morning, and have Aaron get home safely tomorrow night. Being by myself blows.

6 comments:

Amy S. said...

Holy smokes girl. That is an eventful day. Not to laugh at your pain, but I couldn't help but grin at this simple sentence, "I was done".

Joni will shout out every once in a while, "I've had it! I'm done!" Yeah, you can guess where she learned that.

*blush*

Amy S. said...

P.S. Hope you're feeling better from the fall.

Kory Jane said...

Hey there Mrs. Pregnant. You need to be careful around that slick ice. I am so glad that everything was ok. That was good timing though that you just happened to have an appointment right then to check everything out. Sorry for the rough day. Just think, it can only get better tomorrow.

The Thornburgs said...

Don't you hate days like that? I thought I was the only one that has days like that! Jim will walk through the door and I will say, "That's it I am done!" Oh, and I can totally relate to being ignored--hate it! I loved your post, it was real...I hope you feel ok, and get a chance to see the chiropractor. Take care of yourself and that baby!

Jennifer said...

I love you! :) ♥

Jennifer said...

Your Dad said to me as I read this, "Sounds like she's related to you--trying to do so much." Yes, you come by it honest--dust yourself off and keep on going! I'm afraid the "I've had it!" comes from your mother as well... I have gotten better over the years (but of course, you kids grew up a bit as well.) Imagine you'll be feeling that fall for a while; the chiropractor should help. And you're right--being alone sucks but Aaron missed you guys I'm sure--he'll be happy to be home.

Did Jennifer's smiley face cheer you up?

Love,
Mom (I'm using Jennifer's account)